Monday, March 10, 2014

No Bitching Day

There's a Lutheran church in Colorado that came up with an idea for something to do each day of Lent. I loosely follow these guidelines, but there's one on day eight (which isn't until Thursday, but I'll be out that day), that suggests "No Bitching Day." I rather like this idea.

Of course, we know that they could just be saying "no actions involving female dogs day," but let's just go by the colloquial definition we all have for the word. Wouldn't it be nice if there could just be a day where folks stopped complaining and appreciated life a bit more? And made life a little more pleasant for those around them? Yeah, you know exactly what I'm talking about. So, as an early way to celebrate "No Bitching Day" in Lent, I'm going to play the guru to help you find peace about stuff that pisses you off, and maybe help you bitch a bit less. Guru Qui Cho Bichen is here to answer your spiritual questions (although, if you don't respect this post and try to defile Guru Bichen, you might have to hear from his friend, Dr. Gofa Q. Selff).

Also, I would like to point out that I'm a sinner and I have issued several of these complaints from time to time, and I still might in the future. But for the times where bitching is totally unnecessary, here is my counseling, not to serve as cures, but as alternative ways of thinking.

Why do they expect us to wake up so early in the morning for school?!!!

Go to bed earlier. Or don't put off work until midnight. But we both know that likely isn't going to change anytime soon.

They aren't teaching us ANYTHING! I CAN'T LEARN!

Ask for help. Most teachers are reasonable enough to explain things you don't understand, and in the rare cases where they aren't, there's bound to be a peer of yours who is and is willing to assist. If this is hard for you, then you'll eventually learn in this post that the key to a better, less bitchier life is swallowing your pride.

My schedule is too crammed and I have no free time! Ugh!

Well, if this is was not in your control, then go ahead and complain, but be a little quieter about it. Otherwise, I'm going to preach this issue as if it was something you knew would happen and you find that complaining helps you survive the constant action. I find that this is often the case, as most of us plan out busy schedules for ourselves in the first place, whether knowingly or not. This is because that the nature of the present day adolescent requires a constant flow of activity, and we tend to regard any time not spent out of the house or doing something as time wasted. My advice, then, would be to appreciate the time that you are spending and instead of dreading it in the moments leading up to it, use your remaining time to get some last-minute stuff done you couldn't otherwise. On the flipside, there's always something to do if you find that there is a gap in your itinerary. Use the time to rest or reflect, and don't worry about not being busy with something else, because, hey, those moments come pretty rarely, as it turns out.

My friends never talk to me! Am I a loser? Are they just cruel?

....nooot really. This is more of an impulsive phase. Thinking back to the times where we aren't already focused on something and have difficulty in dealing with it, it is also really easy to think that the moments that aren't spent in rapidfire texting/Snapchatting/carrier pigeon-messaging are times where our friends don't appreciate us. For some, it's easy at this point to immediately descend into hopelessness, thinking that our relationship with them was all superficial every time they post a pic on Insta with (gasp!) a different friend. It's during these times of anger that the truth is that we have specific people in mind we want to talk to, but heaven forbid those no-good fake friends turn down a chance to talk. This often results in a lot of whiny Tweets about being alone out of an inability to speak directly, which is an internet vice I am glad I do not have to see for a while. Your best bet, at this point, is to do the unthinkable and TALK TO THEM. That's something Captain Introversion here has always had issues with, but dammit, if I can make improvements, so can you.

Corollary to above entry: I have a feeling that I'm ranked, like, 23rd on Jonny and Jenny's list of friends.

For starters, 23 ain't a bad number. Just ask Michael Jordan. This issue is one that occurs when people think that their friends aren't giving them the attention that all their other buddies are getting. And Francesca? Seriously, you hang out with FRANCESCA and not me? Oh, it is on, douchebag.

Basically, we feel like we aren't close enough with the people that matter to us. This notion is especially popular with the concept of the "friendzone," wherein many a youth has felt like their attractive colleague of the opposite sex has denied them any appreciation in return for the current friendship. There are questions you must ask if you feel like you aren't fully being appreciated by your companion: "Is this impulse?" and "Can I find a way to make a best out of the situation?" This means that you need to first verify that this isn't the spontaneous empty feeling of not having anything to do. I believe I made that clear, and for a lot of people, this renders step 2 unnecessary. But should it come to step 2, just consider the rewards you've reaped from the relationships you currently foster. You can't expect everything from everyone, and you have to yield some time for them to live their own lives. Hell, use this time to try and talk with others who you may not interact with as much as you should. You'll make time with the other guys, and it will be all right. Also, in the case of the "friendzone," I'm going to sum up a few words from a Cracked article I can't get the link to: "The real friendzone is the trying-not-to-ruin-the-friendshipzone." Be a freaking friend, or burn that bridge.


That's just a few things I got to say. Maybe it will serve as good insight for myself even, when I'm having a shitty day and feel inclined to bring up one of this bitching points.

These are just my personal beliefs, but maybe if you utilize them, you could lower down on complaining on social media through indirect accusations at your peers or a flow of sad Johnny Cash lyrics (especially considering that unless you have had your chest clawed down to your waist by an ostrich, you do not have it as bad as Johnny Cash did).

Mornin' Hays, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment