Sunday, March 30, 2014

Upon Further Inspection...

I've said it before that Sundays can be technically seen as off-days during Lent, although not everyone chooses to use them as such. On this fourth sunday of Lent (halfway, there guys), I decided to cave into an impulse, and checked Twitter for a brief amount of time. I can't say what got into me, but it gave me a necessary spurt to use for a topic of discourse (which I've been at a loss for since Happening). Moving right along, let us get this show on the road (and, yes, I know it is past 10 PM, and, yes, my AP Chem homework can wait right now, thank you very much).

So, what did I see? That seems to be the question at hand for this post, does it not? I suppose the best thing to say would be... nothing out of the ordinary. Tweets of the generic variety, sports tweets (on that same note, how did the Lady Gamecocks play, eh?), Walking Dead live-tweets, attempts to be creative (I'll avoid talking about whether said attempts succeeded at a noticeable rate). It was like clockwork. Angsty, awkward, whiny, clockwork. Like, seriously, think back to the High School days of Cogsworth from Beauty and the Beast.

I guess it should be noted that my first instinct was to immediately notice the things that kinda made me want to barf once I opened twitter on my PC (I had deleted the app off of my phone and iPad, and I wasn't about to reinstall them for one day). Mostly the bitching. Y'know, like uuuugggggh math is trying to kill me and dang, I hate how I'm not noticed enough. People dwelling on little issues like this, expanding them into the little sonnets of angst we call tweets. I hope I don't have to describe this any further than I already have.

So, other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?


Alright, so, I rediscovered the headache Twitter had been giving me for years (which is what you get when there are hundreds of voices talking all at once on a little screen like that). Frankly, I didn't find anything that would make me want to come back to the grind. I'd be leaving all the calm I've found within myself, I'd waste far more time, and I'd get really freaking frustrated from time to time. In other words, life without Twitter is far more satisfying than life with it.

I could devote this entire post to the idea that twitter is a cesspool of human garbage and vice. I could try and play the "holier-than-thou" card and try to champion myself as the one who saw the light and will make things right. I could be working on this damn AP Chem homework that I knew would cause me trouble (oh, sorry, off topic again).

Instead of sinking down to the bitchy-whiny echelon, I'm going to do something that your grumbling AP teachers have pressed you to do since you were assigned your first psychological free-response document-based argumentative manifesto: ANALYZE.

How did leaving Twitter affect personal relationships? I knew from the start who actually mattered and who didn't, and I was able to confirm my suspicions.

What good stuff did I miss out on? Funny stuff from comedians, a lot of @midnight Hashtag Wars, opportunities for puns, probably some delightful exchanges between my peers.

Could I go back? Well, I think the days I've had off really have allowed me to learn, and returning to Twitter won't kill that vibe off. But quitting Twitter for me was like quitting smoking. It was getting rid of something that could not have fulfilled me completely, and why would I want to go back?

On the other hand, leaving Twitter kind of reminds me of the fear I shared in the last post (which was way too damn long ago). I'd be walking away from my past, the good and the bad, and trying to refresh and find new ways to communicate. Almost, like, going to college, or somethin'. There certainly are a bit of ramifications to just walking out.

I have had impulses to just let my account rot away and not return to it, even when Lent ends in a few more weeks. I seriously will consider this more in-depth for the time being, and I'll have a conclusion at some point. But one thing is for sure: I've still got a few more days to learn and breathe in the air. I've got a great show coming up, I've got schoolwork to be engaged in (can you not just feel the excitement in this one), Lord knows what I could do for my mostly vacant Spring Break.

Forget this whole post, anyway. I've seen what I've left behind, and I need to get back on program. My thoughts were long since due to be shared again, so I wasted some precious time to get this text onto the screen. Hopefully I can be a little less angsty in the future.

So, I'll say goodbye again to the Twitterverse I walked away from, and get back to my program. So long to the pleasures, but mostly, so long the grievances.

You're the reason I'm a-travelin' on.

Don't think twice, it's alright.

Mornin' Hays, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment